Pages

Labels

DND (36) Home Campaign (19) DM (13) Encounters (10) blog (6) 5e (1) GnomeCon (1) Video Games (1) movies (1)

Friday, November 18, 2011

Race & Appeal

So a friend of mind loaned me his collection of ancient D&D artifacts.  I was actually afraid to unseal most of them from their anti-aging blankets, but a few whose seals were already broke I took a peak at.  Specifically of interest I read about the temporary companionship that can be gained at taverns through the land.  The article advised, that as DM, to help determine their price I also have to take into account their race. 

You see, certain races get certain bonuses and may fetch a fairer price.  These involve the attributes of Discretion and Appeal (which are no longer used in D&D).  Elves and Orcs have a -1 Discretion.  Okay, I can buy that (bad pun - I know).  But an Orc still has +1 appeal?!?   Am I looking at the wrong Orc artwork?  Oh, and a hobbit has more appeal than a half-elf or a human.  Really?!?  And while I am ranting, when the hobbit-suffrage movement occur that caused us to have to call them halflings now?  I think hobbit seems more accurate that to insinuate that they are only half of anything especially half of a "ling".

Back to the "business" at hand, without venturing too far into PG-13 territory, who has more appeal for you?  Pick one and post a comment:
  • Human
  • Elf
  • Half-Elf
  • Hobbit
  • Orc
Now to keep my players from worrying, while these companions are certainly wondering about town, I don't think any of them will be open for business when PCs are around.  There is reason I choose to turn off the sound when I play Fall-Out 3 or New Vegas on my Xbox, and why I avoid certain areas of the game while playing Fable 2 or 3 when my kids are in the house.  Heck, I blush when I play that part of the game, and insist I only have to get the Xbox achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment