Pages

Labels

DND (36) Home Campaign (19) DM (13) Encounters (10) blog (6) 5e (1) GnomeCon (1) Video Games (1) movies (1)

Friday, December 9, 2011

Alas, poor D&D Dungeon Tiles!

Gotta love my players, but I owe them some extra torture next session.  I posted earlier how excited was to get an early Christmas present.  My wife even paid to express ship my new D&D Dungeon Tiles so I could have them for the game last session.   Would you believe my players found every encounter they possibly could, that did NOT use the tiles, and ended the session just before I got to use them?

So next session, I should definitely get to use them.  I think I am going to make them fight some extra dragons now, too.  Those promised dungeon pictures using the tiles are still coming, but now I have to wait for two more weeks before I can share them...

OOOooorrrr...I could just say <SPOILER ALERT> here and give you a preview of one of them.  Here it is. 

It's not exactly possible to design any dungeon you want, but it is pretty flexible.  Typically, I describe the features I want in my handmade DM guide and then start playing with tiles until I get something that fits.  In this case, I wanted a narrow, constricted path to enter, an open area, followed by another narrow, constricted path.  Sometimes the details grow as your tiles fit right, and in this case, I kept replacing some tiles to make it look more right.  Specifically, I like to get the black edges (impassible terrain) around the edges for more definition.  In one tile, I couldn't quite get the black edges to match (see the wide tile just before the bottom constricted path).

As my last steps, I photograph the dungeon and then import the picture into my DM guide and add monster notes on top of it.  I can't keep the tiles out and arranged indefinitely so the picture helps me rebuild it.  I stack all my tiles from largest to smallest, so I can roughly find the pieces I am looking for (and I can keep the tiles fairly compact for protected storage.

I can't wait to see how easy or hard this system is actually going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment