Pages

Labels

DND (36) Home Campaign (19) DM (13) Encounters (10) blog (6) 5e (1) GnomeCon (1) Video Games (1) movies (1)

Friday, December 2, 2011

Artistic versus Creative

Some would say I am not very creative, but I argue that I am just not very artistic.  The first challenge in naming this blog was AVAILABILITY.  So, I immediately came up with the acronym ROT for Random Organized Thoughts.   I do not think that the things in this blog are rot.  It literally took me 2 extra seconds to do this.  Not art involved, but I thought naming something out of nothing counts as creative.  After all, creating a D&D campaign is creative, but I lean on my wife and daughters to lend me a hand on the artistic part. 

Creatively I can pull together existing artwork to bring a world to life.  Such as reusing maps I already have to fit my world.  I love these dungeon tiles that are predawn with the right terrain and then I can fit them together. Heck, if the campaign story, though I hope it seems original in the end, is pulling from numerous places and blending them in a, I hope, unique way.  Thanks to Varis/Jadis/Glyth's player for pointing me in that direction to get started.

A quiz to see if we can start some comment posting.  Can you name the sources for any of these items that appear in my campaign?

A.)  "Thank you, but our princess is in another castle"
B.) King Hrothgar
C.) Palancia (this one is tough, the root word is from a source).

There's definitely some more blatant "borrowing" coming, but I don't want to spoil it yet.  See some of you Saturday, and look forward to the Campaign Notes shortly after!

2 comments: